Client: Department of Transport
Scope of works: Pothole repairs and patching at Ezingolweni
Completion date: 20/03/2013
Capital costs: R 2 004 189.71
Ukhasi Construction was appointed by the Department of Transport in Kwazulu Natal on a three year maintenance contract for roads rehabilitation in Kwazulu Natal, in all regions.
Road rehabilitation is made up of the following scope
- Survey, evaluate, determine, and verify the existing conditions within the designated project work area.
- Verify the locations of all existing underground utilities. Land surveyor or civil engineer shall survey, lay out, and stake the path of the new drainage system with final approval by the DOT.
- Work closely with the Department of Transport (DOT) to coordinate traffic detours and traffic control. DOT shall provide final approval of the traffic control plan prior to starting work. Prepare the site, traffic signage, and secure the area from public access for the duration for the work.
- Saw cut and remove the existing asphalt paving in the area as designated in the contract drawings.
- Re-compact the existing base material to 95% compaction.
- Rework (scarify, dry, re-compact) and/or replace existing base material as necessary to achieve the required compaction.
- Grade and prepare the base material for the application of the new asphalt pavement.
- Install new 3” asphalt pavement in accordance with the contract drawings and specifications.
- All excavated material, debris, and waste shall be removed from the carriageway and disposed of in an approved landfill.
- Thoroughly clean up the work area at the end of each day’s work, and at the completion of the project. Leave the road clean and free of waste, scrap, used equipment, or other material intentionally or incidentally delivered to the site.